QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Thursday, February 25, 2016

Two Dots - Two Moons

I can't find a published pattern for this old
quilt, which looks to be from the 1930-1960 era.

I've been putting dot quilts on my Facebook page for Georgann's
birthday week this week. She is fond of dots.
But this one is so good it needs more words and pictures.


It's a lot like BlockBase # 1504 or 1505


Air Ship pattern from the Ohio Farmer in 1911

From a sampler quilt dated 1846


But the two circles are not the same size.

It's a small circle and a larger circle.

Which is easy enough to draw in EQ7

So I did.
Here's a layout for 16" blocks. If you make a 6 x 6 grid of 36 blocks your quilt would
be 90".

Or if you make 12" block you can put 49 together for an 84" square quilt.

I thought I'd name it Martian Moons since
Mars has two moons.


Here's a template pattern for one quarter of the 16" finished block.
You could always draw your own in EQ7.
Or draw a square and trace two plates, one larger than the other.
Do add seams to the templates.

Create a word file or a new empty JPG file that is 8-1/2" x 11".
Click on the image above.
Right click on it and save it to your file.
Print that file out 8-1/2" x 11". The sides of the square should measure 8".
 Adjust the printed page size if necessary. It really doesn't matter if it's a little smaller as long as the square is square. 


Here's another variation. This one in polyester I believe
has a full circle pieced in for the large moon.

The pattern must have been published with a name once or twice.

Dottie Barker sleeps under my desk.



And while we are on the topic of dots:
(Aren't we always?)
Look at this post and scroll down for dots, dots, dots.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this wonderful inspiration, Barbara. I was looking at the pictures and thought, "I could use some of these ideas for my circle 365 project!" But apparently you knew that as you posted the link Audrey's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working on a quilt now called "Pies and Tarts", it is English Paper Pieced and the design is by Sue Daley. Each pie and tart is divided in 8 pieces. The pies and tarts are pieced then the pies are appliquéd on a background square, once 4 are appliquéd the 4 squares are sewn together the. The smaller "tarts" are then appliquéd centers where the 4 seams come together. If you google "pies and tarts" quilts you will find some images. I have posted my progress on my blog at www.barbrobson.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your blog for years now! Very inspiring to see the vintage/antique quilts you show us. And thanks for linking to my humble blog! I was blown away to see my link on the bottom of your post.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love dots too! Thank you for sharing this beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've wanted to make a circle quilt for years. Thanks for sharing so many ideas. I have to wonder what prompted the color choice of orange and green. Such an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love patterns with dots! In addition, I like juicy colors that you use. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is one cool writing service where you can get a lot of useful information for those who wouldlike to buy pre written essays

    ReplyDelete