QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Monday, August 1, 2011

Obsessive Circle Making


You would think this was a one-of-a-kind applique design.
 I recently saw this antique quilt on MrsSewnSew's blog.

Click here to see more:



But it's not the only one out there.

Here's another from my file of online auction pictures.
The green leaves have faded to pale gray but it's the same idea.
And whether it's a good idea or a bad idea is up to the viewer.



Wait, there are more


Georgann Eglinski's version of the above pattern.



  
I think that's enough.


Like many other applique ideas, this one probably originated in embroidered samplers. Piles of round fruit in bowls and baskets are often found. The details above are from 19th century samplers.

I've been cutting circles with the Go!Baby cutter. They could be fruit.

7 comments:

  1. The Go Baby sounds great, I may have to invest in one very soon, don't you remember those ceramic bowls of fruit that were so popular in the 60's? My mom had a bowl of lemons, my Aunt Betty had a lovely bowl of strawberries, Aunt Norma had Limes.....smack dab in the middle of their coffee tables....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Circles? I laugh!

    I have this 'thing' about hand quilting lots of small circles - and do it on most of my quilts.

    Perhaps I need counseling. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired to pull out some red and green fabric and make a berry filled block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't use the circle cutter, since once I sew them, they go wobbly anyways, lol. I like imperfect circles;)

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well knock my socks off - I recognized that picture right away!! I loved seeing that "Bowl of Cherries" quilt. How fun to see the other pictures you have of similar quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite circle quilts was donated to the MSU Museum by the divine Merry Silber. I think the maker thought cherries were too small, so switched to apples! Check it out: http://museum.msu.edu/glqc/collections_7585.1.html

    ReplyDelete